Sunday 17 April 2011

Does Vonnegut Know no Limit?

Write a response to or commentary about one of the Vonnegut quotes from the handout provided. Explain how the quote reveals something about Vonnegut that can also be found in his writing. Make a connection between the quote and the novel or a personal connection to the topic or message in the quote that you've chosen.

"I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center." Vonnegut
The thing that this quote tells me about Vonnegut is that he is a man who has been throw a lot and has affected hi state of mind and if you ask me he is a bit disturbed because to me the edge is the difference between going too far and not going far enough.  Is there truly such a thing?  To me everyone has a different edge, we all have things that we are comfortable with and things that we are not, but they are not the same for everyone. Vonnegut says he wants to go to the edge and not go over, but to me in Slaughterhouse-Five he went over the edge and stretched the content a bit too far and I am not the only one who thinks this either.  The novel was banned for several years because of its content.  In the novel there is aggressive language and narrative that can disturb you.  During the bombing of Dresden there is descriptions of a civilization being erased from existence, and the only thing that remains the burning rubble, where soldiers are force to search for and means of food and are shot form something so simple as a teapot.  I am not questioning Vonnegut on wither or not that this truly happened, I’m questioning he judgement of putting descriptions of these horrors during a time of fear and war.  This is what really got me thinking about his mental sanity, that he could live through this and write about it knowing what will happen if people were to know the truth, and not even flinch at the thought of it.  That is what this quote told me about Vonnegut.

No comments:

Post a Comment